Basic Mac and Cheese (Macaroni Pie)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 4 ratings
- 225g macaroni
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 egg (beaten)
- For the white sauce:
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 small white onion
- 1 tbsp ketchup or 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar
- 2 tbsp butter
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Fill a large saucepan halfway with water, add salt and oil and place over a medium to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the macaroni to the hot water and cook according to the instructions on the package.
- Drain the water from the pasta and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Grease a baking dish for the pie
- Place a saucepan over a medium to high heat and after 1 min adds the butter.
- Stir the butter until melted and then add the flour continuously mixing to integrate with the flour.
- Cook the flour and butter for 1 min. (aka roux)
- Add the milk to the pan and thoroughly mix to avoid any lumps. Using a regular hand whisk may be helpful.
- Add the black pepper, tomato ketchup and onions and mix thoroughly.
- As the sauce begins to thicken, add the cheese and stir until it has completely melted to form a nice thick sauce which still has a pouring consistency.
- Add the sauce to the macaroni followed by the egg and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Pour the mac and cheese mixture into the prepared baking dish and top it with half cup grated cheese.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 mins or until golden.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 75 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Main Courses
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..