Christmas Fruit Cake (Quick and Easy Fruit Cake)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 250g raisins
- 250g currants
- 250g sultanas
- 125g dried apricots
- 175g glace cherries
- 60g dried mixed peel
- 60g chopped nuts (or more dried fruit)
- 30ml brandy or rum
- 30ml red wine
- 425g plain flour (no baking powder in this cake)
- 2tsp mixed spice
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 250g butter
- 1tbsp browning (molasses/treacle)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- For glaze:
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140C/280F
- Add the dried fruit to a mixing bowl, then add the wine and brandy or rum.
- Mix the fruit in with the brandy and wine to coat.
- Add softened butter, flour, mixed spice, browning, sugar, and eggs to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix all of the ingredients together until they cream nicely and the browning is evenly distributed.
- Add the dried fruit mixture to the creamed ingredients and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to your cake tin and bake in the preheated oven.
- After 120mins, check the cake by inserting a tester in the center. If it comes out clean the cake is ready. If the tester is wet place the cake back in the oven and after 15 mins repeat the process.
- To glaze your cake add, 1/4 cup caster sugar to a bowl with 1/4 cup hot water. Mix the two ingredients together to make a simple syrup and brush all over the cake when hot.
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..