Mixed Vegetable Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (4.8 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 2 lbs potatoes (diced)
- 1 large sweet potato (diced)
- ½ medium butternut squash (diced)
- 2 medium shallots (chopped roughly
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 large sweet red pepper (diced)
- 1 large sweet green pepper (diced)
- 4 spring onions (chopped)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 ¼ cup milk
- ¼ tsp mixed spice
- 1 ½ cup grated mature Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup grated cheese for spreading
- ¼ cup plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 360*F/180*C.
- Add the potatoes and squash, to a large roasting tray in an even layer. Then add oil, salt, and black pepper and allow to roast until cooked but not brown. Approximately 20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, over medium-high heat add 3 tbsp butter when the butter has melted add 3 tbsp flour and stir to combine. Allow the roux to cook for about 2 minutes while stirring before adding 2 ¼ cups milk.
- Add the mixed spice and stir continuously to avoid any lumps, use a whisk if necessary. As the mixture begins to thicken, add 1 ½ cup cheese and continue stirring for two minutes. Turn off heat.
- After removing the tray from the oven, add onion, shallots and garlic the red and green sweet peppers.
- Return the tray to the oven and roast for a further 5 mins.
- Add the potato mixture to a large greased baking dish.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the mixed vegetables
- Sprinkle ½ cup grated cheese over the pie, followed by the plain breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for a further 15 mins until the top of the pie is golden brown.
- Remove the pie from the oven and serve hot.
- Servings : 6-8
- Ready in : 55 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Main Courses
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..