Pineapple Glazed Ham
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- To boil the Ham
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1- 1600g smoked Gammon
- For the Glaze:
- 1 can pineapple
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rum (optional)
- Extra 1/4 cup cloves for sticking in the ham
- Place the smoked gammon in a large saucepan and cover with water, then add six whole cloves and bay leaves.
- Put the pan over a medium to high heat and boil for at least 45 mins depending on the size of the ham. Allow enough time for the salt to boil out and the outer skin to cook if you have a larger piece of meat.
- For the Glaze:
- Place the saucepan over a medium to high heat and add the pineapples pieces including the juice, followed by the sugar. Do not add the rum while the pan is over the heat. When the sauce is done finished, removed the pan from the heat and stir in the rum.
- Cook until the mixture starts to thicken, then using an immersion blender; blend until the sauce is completely smooth. Remove the pan and then stir in the alcohol. ( I have repeated myself here because adding alcohol over the heat will result in rising flames.
- Set aside until after the ham is baked. Preheat the oven to 180*C/360*F
- Remove the gammon from the saucepan and using a sharp knife, cut off the tough outer skin from the joint. Make a diamond pattern over the ham using a sharp knife. (see video)
- Stuff cloves into the diamond cut on the joint and both sides, covering the entire ham.
- Place the meat in the oven and bake until cooked. See the instructions on the package.
- About 20 mins before the ham is finished, remove it from the oven and glazed thoroughly with the pineapple mixture using a pastry brush.
- Put the ham back in the oven and bake until done. Remove the joint from the oven and allow the meat to settle before carving.
- Servings : 10
- Ready in : 205 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Main Courses
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..