Other rice recipes:
Rice and Peas Recipe
Published on 04/07/2022 | In By Cleo |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup pigeon peas/gungo peas (cooked)
- 1 1/2 cup long grain easy cook rice
- 1 small white onion (chopped)
- 1 spring onion/green onion (chopped)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 650 ml water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/4 tsp browning or dark soy sauce (optional)
- Place a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and allow it to heat for 1 minute.
- Sauté the onions and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the peas and mix all of the ingredients. If using can peas you can use the liquid if you wish but ensure you measure it to avoid adding too much moisture to the rice.
- Stir in the rice and add 650 ml water, salt and chopped spring onion. NB: If you have pre-cooked your dried pigeon peas or gungo peas you can use the liquid by measuring out the required amount.
- Allow the liquid to begin simmering, then immediately lower the heat.
- On a scale of 1-14 lower the heat to 5.
- Check after 15 mins and stir the pot. Add in browning or soy sauce at this stage if you desire.
- Allow the rice to steam and cook for a further 45 mins until done.
- Serve as desired and enjoy!
- Servings : 4
- Ready in : 50 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Featured
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.