- Prep Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 Turkey Crown or Whole Turkey
- For Seasoning:
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (regular)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon thyme leaves
- 6 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 red chilli
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 4 oz butter (softened butter)
- For: Lemon Bath
- 2 large lemons (sliced)
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp salt
- Extras for around the Turkey:
- 1 garlic bulb (cut in half) i.e. across the cloves
- 1 buch fresh thyme
- Remove any giblets from inside the turkey. Place them both in a large bowl and squeeze the juice of the lemons all over and inside of the turkey.
- Leave the lemon pieces in the bowl. N.B.: If you have a big turkey, you may need to use a small bucket or basin.
- Add the salt to the turkey and fill the container with enough water just to cover the turkey if roasting a whole turkey. For a Turkey Crown, leave off the water and allow it o sit in the lemon and salt only.
- Set aside and allow to stand for 24-48 hrs in the refrigerator depending on the size of the turkey. Tip: Check that the turkey's use-by date allows for you to store it this long without freezing.
- If you are unable to allow your turkey to stand in the lemon for the recommended time. Allow as much time as you can for this step.
- Add all of the seasoning ingredients in the food processor except the butter and chop and mix until thoroughly combined.
- In the food processor or a bowl, add the butter and some thyme and mix to make thyme butter. Paste some butter under the skin of the turkey breast and rub the top of the turkey with the remainder.
- Season the entire turkey inside and out including any giblets with the seasoning and allow to rest for a further 24-48 hours (or as much time as you can), in the refrigerator. Tip: Refrigerate the turkey in the pan you intend to roast it in. Place the garlic bulb halves and the thyme sprigs around the turkey in the roasting pan.
- Preheat the oven to 150-175*C/300-350*F. Check the cooking instructions on your turkey packaging to find out how long to cook your turkey according to its weight.
- Cover the turkey with a lid or tightly with foil and cook according to the packaging instructions.
- Remove the turkey from the oven every half hour and baste using its own drippings, cover again and return to the oven.
- For the final 30-60 mins, remove the cover from the turkey, baste and return to the oven uncovered. Increase the temperature to 200*C/400*F and allow the turkey to brown.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and allow it to rest for at least half-hour before carving.
- Servings : 10-12
- Recipe Type : Main Courses
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..