Sesame and Poppy seed Bagels
Published on 28/10/2016 | In By Cleo |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 625g strong white flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 325 ml water
- For Boiling:
- ¼ cup sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour, salt, yeast and stir to combine.
- Add the honey, oil and water to the dry ingredients combine into a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and kneaded for 15 mins. Return to the mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow the dough to rest for 1 ½ hrs until double in size.
- Line two baking sheets with greaseproof/parchment paper
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll with a rolling pin using forward and backward motions. Turn the dough around horizontally and repeat the same movements on till it forms a circle which is about ¾ inch thick.
- Using a 4 ¼ inch biscuit cutter to cut out the bagels and a 2-inch cookie cutter to make the hole in the center.
- To avoid the dough drying out, place the bagels onto the prepared baking sheets and cover with plastic wrap.
- Roll all the excess pieces of dough up and knead again lightly to form a ball and repeat step 6-8 until all the dough has been used up.
- Allow the bagels to rest on the baking sheets covered with plastic wrap for 45 mins until double in size.
- After the bagels have been resting for 35 mins, place a pan of water on over a medium to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar to the boiling water and stir to dissolve.
- In a small bowl mix the sesame seeds and poppy seeds together.
- Carefully lift the bagels one by one into the pan using a fish slice and boil on each side for no more than 30 seconds.
- Remove the bagel from the pan and return to the baking sheet. Then sprinkle with the seed mixture, continue these steps until all the bagels have been boiled and sprinkled.
- Place the prepared bagels into a preheated oven 430*F/215*C and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Tip: 1. It may be necessary to turn the baking sheets around to allow for even browning of the bagels.
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
3 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.