- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (4.4 /5)
- 9 ratings
- 8ozs softened butter
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 cups plain flour
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar for dusting
- Option for Cranberry Cookies:
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter thoroughly, then add sugar and mix well.
- Add egg to butter and sugar mixture and combine all ingredients mixing thoroughly.
- After completing step 2, add the flour, salt, and cranberries (if using). Combine all the ingredients to form a soft dough, on low speed or by hand mixing. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 300*F/150*C.
- Line two baking sheets with greaseproof/parchment paper. Dot the four corners of the baking sheet and the centre with a little oil to allow the paper to stick and avoid it shifting.
- Turn the dough out on one of the baking sheets or a pastry mat. Roll the dough in a forward motion away from you and a backwards motion towards you. Turn the dough horizontally, and repeat the forward and backwards movements to form a circle.
- Dip a star cookie cutter in a bit of flour and cut the shapes out from the dough and carefully lift the shapes onto the baking sheet.
- Form the excess dough into a ball and repeat step 6. Using a knife mark even squares onto the dough by drawing vertical and horizontal lines across the surface, this will help you to cut the squares out easily when the shortbread is finished baking.
- Place in oven and bake until done. Allow to rest for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack; this will lessen the chance of breakage.
- Once properly cooled, store in an airtight container.
- For Cranberry Cookies add 3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries.
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..