Sourdough Discard Bagels
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (4.8 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 600g strong white bread flour
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp honey or brown sugar
- 280 ml water (warm)
- 1 tbsp oil or melted butter
- 150g sourdough discard
- For boiling doughnuts:
- 1 tbsp sugar to boiling water
- Add discard to a large bowl followed by water, salt, honey and oil. Mix together thoroughly.
- Add flour to the sourdough mixture.
- Stir until all the ingredients come together.
- Knead into a soft dough for 5 mins.
- Dust with a bit of additional flour if sticky.
- Form into a smooth round ball and set aside in the bowl dusted with a bit of flour.
- Cover with plastic wrap and a towel and allow to prove for 4-6 hours until risen.
- Roll out dough to a large circle and cut out the bagels using a doughnut cutter or a round glass and a wine bottle cork for the centre.
- Allow the bagels to rest on the baking sheets covered loosely with plastic wrap for until double in size. The tray can also be placed in the refrigerator overnight.
- Allow the bagels to thaw to room temperature before cooking.
- Once the bagels have doubled in size, place a pan of water on over a medium to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar to the boiling water and stir to dissolve.
- Carefully lift the bagels one by one into the pan using a fish slice and boil on each side for no more than 30 seconds.
- Remove the bagel from the pan and return to the baking sheet. Then sprinkle with the desired topping or leave plain. Continue these steps until all the bagels have been boiled.
- Place the prepared bagels into a preheated oven 430*F/215*C and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- NB: As with sourdough bread, when you tap the base of the bagels they should sound hollow. ENJOY!
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..