Sourdough Bread no Holes
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (0 /5)
- 0 ratings
- 1 cup/8 oz Sourdough starter/discard
- 500g strong white bread flour/Italian 00
- 180g strong white bread flour/Italian 00
- 300 ml water (warm)
- 10g salt (2 tsp)
- For dusting tea towel:
- 1 tbsp rice flour or cornmeal
- 1 tbsp strong white bread flour
- Add water to sourdough discard and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add 500g flour and mix to form a dough. It may be a bit sticky.
- Set aside to rise for 4-6 hours until risen.
- Remove the dough from the bowl, it will be sticky.
- Knead 180g flour into the dough and form it into a smooth ball.
- Place the dough in bowl and cover for 30 mins.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and wet it with a couple of tablespoons of warm water and add salt.
- Knead the salt and the water into the dough.
- Set aside again in a bowl and cover for another 30 mins, the dough will flatten slightly.
- Sprinkle your work surface and the top of the dough with a little flour,
- Fold all the edges of the dough into the centre until it forms a nice smooth ball.
- Push all sides of the dough into your open palms to gently shape it into a smooth firm ball to build a bit of tension.
- Sprinkle tea towel with flour and rice flour to stop the dough from sticking, place in a round medium bowl and place the dough upside down on the cloth in the bowl.
- Use a bowl the right size so the dough will keep from spreading outwards while helping it to rise upwards.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least eight hours or overnight.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to stand for two hours before baking.
- After 1 1/4 hours, Preheat the oven to 250C/500F
- Place your oven-proof pan with lid empty into the oven for 30 mins.
- Reduce the temperature to 220C/440F.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Place a flat plate, cake lifter or cake board on the top of the bowl with the dough after unwrapping it slightly.
- Turn the bowl over on to the flat surface.
- Remove the bowl and the cloth from the dough.
- Make a couple of slices on the side of the dough with the edge of a sharp knife to make a design and help steam escape.
- Gently slide the dough into the hot pan, be careful not to get burnt. Use oven gloves!
- Add two tablespoons of water into the pan around the sides of the dough. This will produce the traditional sourdough bread crust as the bread steams.
- Cover the pan and place into the oven for 25 mins,
- Remove the pan from the oven, then remove the lid from the pan.
- Place the bread back into the oven for a further 25 mins to finish baking.
- Remove the bread from the oven.
- Place on a wire rack and allow to cool before cutting.
- Servings : 6
- Ready in : 1190 Minutes
- Recipe Type :
- Ingredient : Sourdough
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..