Spicy Turmeric Rice (How to Make Spicy Yellow Rice Like Nando’s)
Published on 18/06/2022 | In By Cleo |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 cup long grain easy cook rice
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt (for boiling rice)
- 1/2 white onion (small)
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1 green chilli (small) seeds removed
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt to taste if required
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Place rice in a small bowl and rice with water. (optional)
- Add rice into a medium pot and cover with enough water to boil.
- Add the turmeric powder and salt. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Turn to heat on to medium-high and allow the rice to cook.
- NB: You can also allow the water to boil before adding the rice. It does not make a difference to the finished product.
- Check the rice every 5 mins by placing a grain of rice between your thumb and index finger and crushing. If the grain crushes easily, the rice is ready to strain in a colander.
- Run a bit of cold water over the rice after straining to stop it from cooking further.
- Place the onion, garlic, bell pepper and chilli in a mini chopper and blend or chop finely. (This can also be done by hand) Blending adds more flavour to the rice.
- In a non-stick pan, add oil. After one minute add the chopped seasoning, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika.
- Mix the ingredients and then add the cooked yellow rice to the pan.
- Stir the rice into the seasoning and mix thoroughly. Any natural liquid from the seasonings will cook the grains further and will be dried out during the process.
- Taste the rice mixture to see if any additional salt is needed and salt to taste if necessary.
- Once any liquid present has dried out, turn the heat off and serve. Enjoy!
- Servings : 2-4
- Ready in : 25 Minutes
- Recipe Type : FeaturedMain Courses
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.