Split Roast Chicken
Published on 16/12/2016 | In By Cleo |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 whole chicken
- For Lemon Bath:
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp salt
- For seasoning:
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp all-spice (aka Jamaican pimento)
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2 white onions
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 4 spring onions
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander/cilantro
- Fill a large bowl halfway with water.
- Squeeze the juice of the two lemons into the bowl and add the salt. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and allow to bathe for 1-2 hours.
- In a small bowl, mix all the seasoning ingredients together.
- Drain the lemon water from the chicken and fill will fresh tap water. Pour off this water once more to remove any remaining salt or lemon juice.
- Place the chicken onto a cutting board and using a sharp knife cut through the centre of the spine (back)
- Pull the legs out on either side of the chicken to allow it to lay a bit flat.
- Rub the seasoning mixture over the entire chicken (front, back and make small cuts with the knife under the skin for seasoning).
- Set aside to marinate for an hour. (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190*C/380*F.
- Use a non-stick baking dish or line a dish with foil.
- Place the split chicken into the dish with the open-side down.
- Put in the preheated oven and bake for 45 mins to 60 mins. Or until golden and skewer inserted into the thigh or reveals clear juices. (If liquids from the chicken are pink or red, it is undercooked)
- Remove from the oven when done and allow to rest for approximately 20 mins before carving.
- Servings : 6-8
- Ready in : 125 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Main Courses
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..
Rate this recipe
1 People Rated This Recipe
No comments yet.