Trinidad Corn Soup
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 - 370g can corn kernels
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 2 corn on the cob cut in halves
- ½ cup yellow lentils or (½ cup split pea powder)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 1 cup okras (chopped)
- ½ sweet red pepper (chopped)
- 1 hot pepper (optional)
- 1 cup chopped butternut squash (pumpkin)
- 3 spring onions (chives or scallion)
- 1 cup chopped fresh coriander (chadon beni or cilantro)
- 2 chicken stock cubes (dissolved in 2 cups boiling water)
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- Place a large saucepan over a medium to high heat and after a minute; add the butter and stir until melted.
- Add the onion, shallot and garlic to the pan and sauté for about five minutes.
- Add chopped vegetables to the pot and sauté for another five minutes.
- Add corn kernels, cornmeal, yellow lentils and mix into vegetables; then the chicken stock and the water.
- Add the salt and black pepper and mix thoroughly before adding the corn pieces.
- If using a hot chili, place this on the top of the soup, cover and allow to cook for thirty-five minutes.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pepper and the corn pieces.
- Add the chopped coriander to the soup and using an immersion blender, blend until soup is smooth or place in an upright blender suitable for hot liquids.
- Return the corn pieces to the pan and serve hot.
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..