Vegetable Fried Rice (Fried Rice)
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 cup long grain easy cook rice (uncooked) or 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 celery stalks (Julienne) then cut into fine cubes
- 2 small carrots (cut into fine cubes)
- 1/4 bell pepper (green) cut into fine pieces
- 1/4 bell pepper (yellow) cut into fine pieces
- 1/4 bell pepper (red) cut into fine pieces
- 2 spring onions/ scallions (chopped finely)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped finely)
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- If using uncooked rice, add to boiling unsalted water. Use enough water to cover the rice, i.e. a lot more than needed normally.
- NB: We are boiling the rice not steaming it.
- After about 5-10 mins test a grain of rice between your thumb and index finger. If the grain crushes with a bit of pressure and feels soft enough to chew yet a bit firm it is ready to drain in a colander. Wait a few minutes longer if you feel that it is not as tender as you would like. NB: The rice must be grainy and not soft.
- Once drained, pour a bit of cold tap water over the rice, then drain again. This will prevent over-cooking.
- Place a large non-stick pan or Chinese Wok over a medium to high heat.
- Add sesame oil and then chopped carrots.
- Sauté for 3 mins before adding the celery and garlic.
- Sauté for a further 2 mins.
- Add the peppers and saute for a minute.
- Add the Chinese five spice and soy sauce and mix thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
- Add the cooked and drained rice to the pan and mix all the ingredients together until the rice becomes completely coloured with the soy sauce.
- Mix in the chopped spring onions and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot!
- NB: If living in an extremely hot climate, store the rice in the refrigerator after a few hours of cooking if not used as the heat can cause the peppers to ferment and spoil the rice.
#Foodiemum, creator of culinary art, wife and Mum of two.Read more about this chef..